Supervisor Title – Chef \ Kitchen Manager
Department – BOH
Employment Type – Regular full time \ Regular part time
Primary Purpose of the Position
To cook and prepare a variety of food products including meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables,
sauces, stocks and other food products using a variety of equipment and utensils
according to the daily prep requirements. Also, be responsible for setting up workstations in the kitchen and preparing ingredients for the cooking process. The Prep Cook performs basic cooking duties, monitors stock levels, and takes on culinary tasks as they arise.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare basic components of each dish on our menu or daily specials using our menu recipes or chef’s instructions (e.g. chopping vegetables, cutting meat\fish and preparing sauces).
- Prepares items for broiling, grilling, frying, sautéing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating.
- Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking.
- Performs basic cooking duties in order to prepare food items for service.
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
- Maintains an ongoing inventory of raw ingredients and supplies to ensure nothing is running low.
- Make sure food preparation and storage areas meet health code and safety standards.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station areas and storage areas including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
- Work with team of cooks to do portion prep work for other shifts when needed.
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Monitor product freshness and rotate out old product based on a schedule created by the restaurant
- Closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assists others in closing the kitchen.
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Kitchen Manager or manager-on-duty.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- A minimum of 1 years of experience in kitchen preparation and cooking.
- Must maintain personal hygiene in accordance to Houston Health Department standards for Food Service Employees.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with managers and kitchen personnel.
- Able to meet physical demands such reach, bend, stoop and frequently lifting up to 50 lbs. as well as standing on your feet for up to 8 hours in a loud and warm temperature environment
- Current food handlers permit
- Culinary school training
- Great people skills with a friendly attitude
- Attention to cleanliness and safety
- Sensitivity to Food Allergies/Intolerances
- Teamwork, communicative, attentive
- Motivated, energetic, stress tolerance
- Multi tasking, high awareness and attention to details
- Availability to work nights, weekends, and holidays
|Amount of Time|
|Activity||None||Up to 1/3||1/3 to 2/3||2/3 or More|
|Talk or Hear||✓|
|Use hands to finger, handle or feel||✓|
|Climb or Balance||✓|
|Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, Crawl||✓|
|Reach with hands and arms||✓|
|Taste or Smell||✓|
The job requires the Prep cook to be able to lift and balance weight of up to 75 pounds.
The work environment may be loud, especially during the busy hours due to kitchen operation, equipment and machinery.
Westville provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Thank you for your application. We will get back to you if we have any further questions.View the job opportunities list